Right dental tools are an asset for any dentist, when it comes to handpieces, then there are low-speed and high-speed dental pieces which are available in the market. So, how do you choose the right one? Well, there are certain parameters that you need to consider before buying one. But before that you must know that dental handpieces are used for drilling and cleaning the teeth. They are also known as dental drills and are available in various types. As a dentist, you know what are the functions of dental handpieces, but how would you choose the best dental handpieces for your practice? You need to choose the dental handpiece with less noise and vibration level because you need to use such handpieces to provide smooth treatments.
Uses of Dental drill or handpieces-
- Removing tooth decay
- Shaping the teeth before dental procedure
- Teeth cleaning
- Removing old or temporary tooth fillings
- Cleaning and shaping the root canals.
Tips For The Best Dental Handpieces:
You need to consider veracious points before you choose any dental handpiece and here you can find some useful tips to choose the best handpieces:
- Hand size: you need to check the diameter and height of the head of the dental handpiece before you buy. Usually the handpieces with smaller head ensure easy access and better visibility, thus reducing the treatment time.
- Speed and torque: When you are cutting the teeth or any dental materials, you need to use the torque power of the dental handpiece, and such torque power will increase the speed of the handpiece. Hence, it is advisable that you must choose a handpiece which offers better torque.
- Treatment process: you need to use different types of handpieces for different dental treatments, and the speed of such handpieces can vary according to your treatment procedure.
Tabular Representation Of The Kind Of Handpieces And Treatment:
|Treatment||Type of Handpiece|
Sectioning existing prosthetics
|endodontics and pin placement||Ultra-low speed|
- Noise level: As a clinician you would not want to disturb your patient and yourself with the noise of the dental drill, hence you must check the sound level of the same. You must choose the one that has low decibel noise because huge noise and vibration from your dental instruments can make your patients nervous. For example, normal high-speed air turbine handpieces have noise level between 70 to 80 decibels and you can reduce this noise level using electric high-speed handpieces. Electric high-speed turbine handpieces has the noise level between 55 to 60 decibels and they can provide the fearless treatment to your patients.
- Weight: You must be able to handle the drill comfortably while using it. If it weighs more, it can be troublesome for the dentist to use it for long, moreover, it can cause pain in the wrist. Heavyweight handpieces can create huge pressure and they can injure the muscles and nerves of your patients. Normally slow speed handpieces have less weight than high-speed handpieces. But now you can find some latest handpieces that are manufactured with lightweight materials and you can use such instruments to make your patients comfortable.
- Water and air spray: You must choose the dental handpieces that have numerous air and water spray because you need to use such water and air sprays during the treatment procedure to clean the debris from the dental and gum areas. It should spray the water and air at high pressure allowing the dentist to clean the teeth easily.
- Lights: today, you can find many dental handpieces that come with LED optics and they can deliver huge lights on the treatment areas during your dental treatment procedures. You can easily operate such lights and you can also reduce the luminous level of the light according to your needs.
- Warranty: Most of the manufacturers offer a one year limited warranty on their handpieces. You must check their warranty terms before you buy and you must ensure your handpieces. Such instruments are quite expensive, and you must protect them with proper insurance coverage.
How To Choose The Best Handpiece?
In addition to the above-mentioned pointers, it is also important that you need to consider what task you need to perform using the handpiece. High-speed handpieces are good for preparing the teeth for the dental procedure while the low-speed ones are used for finishing and polishing of teeth. Once you know what kind of work you need to perform, you must choose the handpiece on the parameters mentioned above.