The first guideline for pallet racking installation is to follow instructions regarding its assembly and use. The Manipulation of the configuration can result in the capacity to bear loads and can diminish the structural integrity.
Spacing and Orientation
The racking assembly should be perfectly vertical, level, and square. This requirement is needed considering the uneven floors. Shims can help to account for it and to help achieve the standards needed to ensure stable racking.
For multiple pallet racking installations, there should be enough space between each assembly. Adequate spacing results in lifting equipment, such as forklifts run smoothly and the pallet racking being stable for use.
Inspection of Components
The first step in preparing for installation is to inspect the components of the pallet racking. All the components should be present by cross-checking available components in the packing list. It is also important to ensure that the components are not damaged. A bend or crack or a missing component can render the pallet racking unsafe to use, as it will not be able to bear as much weight as it should.
Tools necessary for pallet racking installation and their uses
- Tape: Take a tape measure and plot the dimensions for racking and measuring necessary aisle space.
- Chalk Line: A chalk line marks the points on floor and outlines of the racking bases where edges where pallet racking should go.
- Lifting Device: A lifting device holds the vertical supports of the racking in place while putting the beams in place.
- Leveler: A leveler needs to ensure that a vertical support stands at 90-degree angles to ensure beams to lay flat.
- Mallet: A mallet fixes loaded beams firmly into place so that the lock can secure them.
For anchoring the pallet racking installations, a hammer drill and compressed air to drive bolts into floors and/or walls is needed. One requires proper specifications from an architect for anchoring pallet racking. These specifications should be conveyed to pallet racking sellers to ensure that racking meets all the requirement.
Measure Chalk Lines
Preparation to assemble pallet racking installation is to measure the chalk lines. One should know the dimensions of pallet racking to be installed. The length and width of the racking on the floor, ensures that the edges are evenly spaced from walls. The spots of these corners and the uprights for racks are to be marked.
Pallet Racking Installation Steps
The following steps will help in the pallet racking installation procedure:
- First you should start with bay then shim and plumb it after which those remaining bays should be installed. If you follow this order, pallet racking installation will be successful.
- Start with that first bay then shim and plumb it for proper angles. Only after all this start installing the remaining bays. Following this order helps to ensure successful installation of pallet racking.
- Next, for proper angles shim and plumb the uprights on beams. A lean or slope to the beams can be determined by the leveler. In case there is slope, shims of various sizing are placed below the feet of uprights until they are perpendicular.
- A minute slope of 1/8-inch above four feet can be accepted but one should still consider the specifications given by the manufacturer.
- Once the initial bay is plumb, it is time to install other beams on it and then assemble the remaining bays.
- Repeating the process for the first bay, confirms that every subsequent bay is also plumb before moving on to the next one until the process ends and pallet racking installation is completed.