A large section of people suffers from TMJ disorder, hence TMJ Treatment or temporomandibular joints treatment is quite common. The pain in the temporomandibular joints located at either side of the back of the jaw. You use them every time you talk, chew or swallow. When there is something that’s gone wrong with the joints and muscles of the jaw, TMJ disorders occur. Majority of the time, it is brought on due to jaw injury inflammation which includes overuse or arthritis.
Though People suffering through the symptoms of TMJ disorders has reported recovering from it without any treatments but opting for TMJ treatment is a wise idea for overall recovery of TMJ disorders.
To clear your confusion and to you to recover from TMJ disorder a list of TMJ treatment methods is mentioned below. These solutions or the TMJ treatment methods are beneficial in recovering TMJ disorder.
1. Avoid Overusing Jaw Muscles: – When you are suffering from TMJ disorder it is advisable to avoid foods which are difficult to swallow. It will refrain you from overusing your jaws. In addition, cutting up your food into smaller pieces can help solve this problem. Also avoid sticky or chewy foods, where jaw muscle requires to overly used, is suggestible.
2. Use Medication: – Nonsurgical TMJ treatments include the use of prescription and over-the-counter medications to relieve one of the pains. It’s no big shock that pain relievers and anti-inflammatory drugs are most commonly used to deal with TMJ disorders. Similarly, antidepressants and muscle relaxants are used for pain relief, but in low doses. In addition, you can pot for alternative medicine also. You can put together alternative TMJ treatment techniques to help manage the chronic pain associated with TMJ disorders. It can be biofeedback, relaxation techniques, acupuncture and so forth, while in the end game help you reduce the pain.
3. Option for Exercises: – Exercising at certain cases can help relieve TMJ pain and improve the movement of the jaw joints. There are countless exercise routines out there available which can help you. However, opting for exercise it is suggested to consult with a doctor.
4. Mouthguards/Oral Splints and Arthrocentesis:: – Many people currently under TMJ treatment often benefit by using mouth guards as it readjusts the alignment and reduces the symptoms. It is also a great way to keep the upper and lower jaw from grinding into one another and clenching.
A very small number of people goes in for Arthrocentesis as it oversees small needles getting plugged into the temporomandibular joints to either get rid of any inflammation or irrigate the joint.
5. Aligners/Braces: – Getting prescribed aligners/braces is one of the most common orthodontic solutions when it comes to TMJ treatment. Aligners can be clearly removed easily to brush your teeth or floss them. However, you may have to wait for a certain period before you the braces are removed.
6. Physical Therapy: You can take on exercises from physical therapists to help your strengthening and stretching of the jaws. Expect other treatments to be involved such as biofeedback, ultrasound, moist, heat and ice and so forth to be involved when you seek help from a physical therapist.
On the ending note, if you are suffering from TMJ pain avoid any exercises until the pain goes away. Also, consult your doctor before hand-picking any treatment procedures for TMJ disorders. Furthermore, for more in-depth treatment consult a dentist or an orthodontist.