Recent times have observed unsettling medical trends, with even young people dealing with many conditions uncommon to their age. In order to avoid such complications, people are turning to healthier food. If you are replanning a balanced diet for a better lifestyle, chicken pho can be a great option to add to it. Chicken pho is a popular Vietnamese street meal, similar to chicken soup but adds herbs and spices, making it even more effective in boosting your immune system. It also hastens your recovery time and helps you quickly get back on your feet. It is a very healthy dish given that it contains ample protein from the chicken and is served in a nutrient-rich broth steeped in spices. Here is what chicken pho is and how it is made.
What is Chicken Pho
Chicken pho is a traditional Vietnamese noodle soup made with a flavorful broth, rice noodles, and sliced chicken. It’s a hearty and satisfying meal that’s perfect for cold winter days or anytime you’re under the weather. Here’s how to make your own delicious chicken pho at home:
The broth for the dish is typically made by simmering chicken bones and various aromatic spices, such as cinnamon sticks, cloves, coriander seeds, fennel seeds, and peppercorns, for several hours. This creates a rich and flavorful base for the soup.
The rice noodles used in chicken pho are thin and flat and are usually cooked separately from the broth. The noodles are then added to the broth and slices of cooked chicken and served in a bowl. Though you can also cook vegan pho, the pho with chicken is considered to be more nutritious. It is typically garnished with various fresh herbs, such as basil and cilantro, bean sprouts, lime wedges, and chili peppers. It is often served with hoisin sauce and sriracha sauce on the side, which can be added to taste. Chicken pho is a delicious and satisfying meal that is perfect for cold winter days or anytime you feel under the weather. It is also a popular choice for a quick and easy meal on the go.
Ingredients required to cook chicken pho
- 4-6 cups of chicken broth
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 3 whole cloves
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds
- 1 tablespoon fennel seeds
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 4-inch piece of ginger, sliced
- 4-6 cloves garlic, smashed
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 8 ounces of rice noodles
- Toppings: bean sprouts, fresh basil, cilantro, lime wedges, jalapeno slices, hoisin sauce, sriracha sauce
Instructions to cook Chicken pho
- Use a large pot and bring the chicken broth to a boil.
- Tie the cinnamon sticks, cloves, coriander seeds, fennel seeds, and peppercorns in a piece of cheesecloth or put them in a tea infuser. Add the spice bag to the pot of broth.
- Add the onion and garlic pot and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Remove the spice bag and discard. Add the fish sauce to the broth.
- Place the chicken breasts in the pot and simmer until they are cooked through about 10-15 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the pot and thinly slice it.
- Carry a separate water pot to a boil and cook the rice noodles according to package instructions.
- To serve, distribute the noodles evenly between bowls and top with sliced chicken and broth.
- Add your desired toppings and serve immediately. Enjoy!
Optional: You can also add sliced beef or tofu to your pho for a protein boost. Broth can be customized by adding additional spices or herbs to your liking. Experiment with different toppings and find your perfect combination. For ideal taste, you can consider your favorite add-ons by buying spices online.
Chicken Pho is extremely healthy and can be made quickly at home. It is highly customisable, and you can add more spices and flavors according to your developed taste.