Have you ever asked this question, why do you learn mathematics? If you haven’t then you must ask this question to yourself. Before you start learning anything you should always ask this question to yourself as it will give the aim and agenda to learn. Once you know the answer you will successfully learn that thing. There are three main factors of learning mathematics that are calculation, application, and inspiration. Mathematics is a subject that includes logic, creative and critical thinking. We learned different topics in mathematics because each topic has some use in real life. Each topic of math has some real-life application such as trigonometric ratios are used to find out the unknown side or angle while working on the construction.
In our daily life, we saw lots of examples of various shapes such as a triangle. Every shape has a unique set of properties hence we can differentiate them easily. Children observe toys, chips, pieces of cake or pizza, and many more things that have the shape of a triangle. If they know different types of triangles and their identification then only they can find out the difference in those shapes. Therefore you should always explain to them different shapes through some facts and real-life examples. You can explain trigonometric functions by giving them examples of two buildings or lighthouses. Let’s see some more tricks and explanations of examples for trigonometric ratios:
- You must be aware that there are a total of six ratios. If you know the first three ratios then you can find out the remaining ratios by yourself.
- There lies a beautiful trick of these ratios. Let’s understand these first three ratios through an example. Consider a building of height ‘P’ is situated at ‘Q’ from the point ‘R’.
- Now you can easily imagine a right-angled triangle with base QR, hypotenuse PR and Perpendicular height are PQ. As you know here the angle ‘Q’ measures ninety degrees and the angle ‘R’ is thita. Now the measurement of the remaining angle ‘P’ is three-sixty degrees minus ninety-degree minus theta.
- Let’s calculate the first ratio that is sin theta for this triangle PQR, so the method for sin is dividing the opposite side to the hypotenuse. Here for sides, you have to take the reference of angle theta. Hypotenuse remains the same, that is the side opposite to the right angle is PR.
- For the next ratio that is cosine theta, you have to divide the adjacent side to the hypotenuse. For the last ratio that is tan theta, you have to divide the opposite side by the adjacent side.
- If you understand these three ratios then you can easily calculate the remaining three ratios. There is a simple trick that you have to apply to find the remaining ratios. Just take the opposites of the above three ratios that are sin, cosine, tan and you will get cosec, sec, and cot.
- Now if you know these six ratios then you can easily find out the height, base, hypotenuse, and any angle made by that building. This is one of the best applications of trigonometry.
- Similarly, by using these ratios you can easily find and prove different trigonometric identities. If you observe clearly then you will understand tan theta is actually the ratio of sin theta and cos theta while cot theta is ratio of cosine theta and sec theta. This is also a trigonometric identity.
Being clear about the usage of the trig identities is very much important for the kids to ensure that they are able to solve the questions very easily and fetch good marks in the exams. The experts from the house of Cuemath are always there for the help of kids to ensure that every query has been professionally addressed and the kids never have to face any complication at the time of solving the questions.