Sleep regression is common among the children of between 4 to 18 months. Your baby who was sleeping good, in this case, starts to wake up at midnight. And now he is having problems settling down for sleep and bedtime.
Sleep regression is common, lasting between two and six weeks, but each baby is special. While sleep regression is normal and does not last forever, it’s good to note, but it does not indicate sleep regression is simple to bear up. To parents and babies, sleep is crucial and sleep deprivation may relate to thinking and mood management problems.
When And Why Sleep Regression Happens?
It could not be said with certainty that every baby goes through sleep regression due to the same reason.
Remember that each individual is different, and your baby doesn’t need to be going through sleep regression because of the same reason as your known one’s baby. However, several experts have stated two reasons which lead to sleep regression problems among babies.
- Development Leap
- A shift in nap schedules and overall sleep needs.
This problem may happen to your child aged between 4-months to 12 years.
How to Tackle Sleep Regression Problem?
It may be frustrating for your baby during the sleep regression period and as well as for you. In this period, you need to take extra care of your toddler. For this reason, we have mentioned below a few methods that you may try during your baby’s sleep regression.
- When your child is going through the development process, it also causes sleep regression. Therefore, offering him an extra feeding time would not be a bad idea. Your schedule might get disturb, but remember it’s for a temporary period and eventually you and your child will get back on track.
- You will offer your child room to learn. You need to provide him with various toys, such as blocks or balls, as your kid begins crawling and roaming. Make sure that your child plays and runs all day long. enYou will always ensure that you can’t put your child in your car seat or stroller all the time, because he won’t have any pent-up energy when it’s time to bed or sleep. This reduces the chance of needing to play in the middle of the night or after 20 minutes.
- Many parents pamper and comfort their babies verbally as they lie in their bed. Again this method may take longer for your baby to sleep, but if this method was useful for you before then it is worth trying now. As we have mentioned, it is just for a temporary period you have to make some changes to your routine.
- You may also try offering your child an extra sleep time, if necessary. Sleep regression can result in missed sleep and this causes overtiredness. This may quickly turn into exhaustion and frustration for your child and this may further result in missed sleep. Therefore, it is suggested to offer some extra sleep time.
Sleep Time During Sleep Regression:
Although the 8-month-old babies have an irregular sleep pattern, they still need a lot of sleep. However, every baby has to sleep according to its needs. Yet sleep time is typically 12-15 hours a day for the aged of 8 months.
Again, as we said this can vary for each child, but he needs to sleep ten to eleven hours in the night and two to four hours during the day.
Moreover, it is not necessary that the sleeping timings are the same. Some babies sleep long hours during the day while a few at night and some sleep for longer stretches at night.
Packing It Up: Having said that, it is important that you must not worry and take an extra toil on your own health while your baby is going through a sleep regression. It is common, and only for a temporary period. Therefore, keep calm and care of your baby.