To curb use of chemical fertilizers, Govt to give nod to PM PRANAM


The Union governing administration intends to start a plan — named PM PRANAM — to minimize the use of chemical fertilizers by incentivising states, The Indian Specific has learn.

The proposed plan, quick for PM Promotion of Alternate Nutrition for Agriculture Administration Yojana, also aims to bring down the subsidy load on chemical fertilisers, which is estimated to access Rs 2.25 lakh crore in 2022-23 — 39 for each cent bigger than last year’s determine of Rs 1.62 lakh crore.

It assumes significance in check out of the sharp increase in the total fertilizer necessity in the state for the duration of the previous five a long time.

It is understand that best officers of the Union Ministry of Substances and Fertilizers, which has mooted the thought of ​​PM-PRANAM, shared the information of the proposed scheme with condition govt officials for the duration of the Nationwide Meeting on Agriculture for Rabi Marketing campaign held on September 7. The ministry has also sought their tips on the capabilities of the proposed scheme, it is acquired.

Sources said the ministry has initiated inter-ministerial discussions on the proposed plan and that its draft will be finalized following incorporating the views of the departments involved.

A supply hinted that the plan will have no separate funds and will be financed by the “savings of present fertilizer subsidy” under strategies run by the Division of Fertilizers.

In accordance to sources, 50 per cent of subsidy price savings will be handed on as a grant to the condition that saves the revenue.

Sources also said that 70 per cent of the grant supplied under the scheme can be made use of for asset generation similar to technological adoption of alternate fertilizers and alternate fertilizer output units at village, block and district degrees. The remaining 30 per cent grant income can be employed for fulfilling and encouraging farmers, panchayats, farmer producer organizations and self-assist groups that are involved in the reduction of fertilizer use and consciousness generation.

Offering an case in point of the calculation in minimizing chemical fertilizer use, a supply mentioned that a state’s maximize or reduction in urea in a calendar year will be compared to its typical use of urea through the past 3 decades. For this goal, facts obtainable on a Fertilizer Ministry dashboard, iFMS (Integrated Fertilizers Management Process), will be employed, stated the source.

Official documents display that the genuine expenditure on fertilizer subsidy was 1.27 lakh crore in 2020-21. In the Union Spending plan 2021-22, the govt budgeted an amount of money of Rs 79,530 crore, which increased to Rs 1.40 lakh crore in the revised estimates (RE). Nonetheless, the last figure of fertilizer subsidy touched Rs 1.62 lakh crore in 2021-22.

In the present-day money 12 months (2022-23) the govt has allocated Rs 1.05 lakh crore. The Fertilizer Minister has reported that the fertilizer subsidy figure could cross Rs 2.25 lakh crore all through this 12 months.

In accordance to a composed reply supplied to Lok Sabha by Bhagwanth Khuba, the Union Minister of State for Chemical substances and Fertilizers, on August 5, the complete prerequisite of 4 fertilizers — Urea, DAP (Di-ammonium Phosphate), MOP (Muriate of potash) , NPKS (Nitrogen, Phosphorus and Potassium) — in the region elevated by 21 for each cent to 640.27 lakh metric tonnes (LMT) in 2021-22 from 528.86 lakh metric tonnes in 2017-18.

The greatest boost — 25.44 for every cent — has been recorded in the necessity of DAP. It went up from 98.77 LMT in 2017-18 to 123.9 LMT in 2021-22. Urea, the most utilized chemical fertilizer in the nation, recorded an raise of 19.64 for each cent — from 298 LMT in 2017-18 to 356.53 in 2021-22 — in the last five several years.

The go is in line with the government’s emphasis on promoting a well balanced use of fertilizers or alternative fertilizers in the final handful of a long time.

To plug leakages in fertilizer subsidy, the Middle experienced introduced a immediate benefit transfer system in fertilizers with influence from October 2016. Less than this technique, 100 per cent subsidy on numerous fertilizer grades is produced to the fertilizer businesses on the foundation of true product sales built by the stores to the beneficiaries. Other than, the federal government had integrated new nutrients like Nano urea and “bio-stimulants” in the Fertilizer Manage Purchase-1985 (FCO). In addition to this, initiatives like Soil Health Card and neem-coated urea have also been taken.

On December 21, Union Minister for Chemical substances and Fertilizers Mansukh Mandaviya experienced knowledgeable Lok Sabha that the govt “encourages the balanced use of fertilizers” in conjunction with biofertilisers and organic fertilizers.

- Advertisement -

- Advertisement -

Comments are closed.